The Mission of the Library is to provide quality information resources and services that support academic programs and to work with the university community in teaching them to use resources and services effectively.
The Carl S. Swisher Library is a three-story, 52,000 square foot facility overlooking the St. Johns River and centrally located on the academic part of campus. It was named for a former chair of the JU Board of Trustees who contributed the money for its construction in three phases from 1953 to 1971.
The library is in period of transition as it moves from physical to online resources. By withdrawing older, less useful materials, the resulting space can be reallocated to provide additional services and environments to meet the growing needs of 21st century higher education.